Residential Home Rehabilitation

Current priority for a grant is available to Nyssa homeowners.

Community in Action Residential Housing Rehabilitation Grant/Loan Program is funded through Revolving Loan Funds, Community Development Block Grants awarded to cities and counties from Business Oregon, Infrastructure Finance Authority and administered by CinA, and the United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Housing Preservation grant. Other funding may be available from time to time to assist with home repairs. The Rehabilitation Program is available in both Malheur and Harney Counties.

The program provides home improvement assistance grants and loans for owner-occupied homeowners who meet the low and moderate income guidelines.

Grants and Loans are used for critical repairs, including but not limited to:

  • Roofing

  • Insulation

  • Accessibility improvements

  • Plumbing

  • Electrical repair/replacement

  • Removal of lead or hazardous materials

  • Energy Efficiency and Weatherization


Could include but not limited to:

  • Installation and/or repair of sanitary water and waste disposal systems, together with related plumbing and fixtures, which will meet local health department requirements
  • Energy conservation measures such as: Insulation and combination screen-storm windows and doors
  • Repair or replacement of the heating system including the installation of alternative systems such as wood burning stoves 
  • Electrical wiring
  • Repair of or provision for, structural supports and foundations
  • Repair or replacement of the roof
  • Replacement of severely deteriorated siding, porches, or stoops
  • Alterations of the homes interior or exterior to provide greater accessibility for any handicapped person

For properties listed on or eligible for the National Register of Historic Places, activities associated with conforming repair and rehabilitation activities to the standards and/or design comments resulting from the consultation process through SHPO.

All work must be completed by an Oregon State licensed, bonded, insured contractor.


  • You must be a resident of Harney or Malheur County (priority may be given to specific areas within the county due to funding guidelines).

  • The property must be an owner-occupied single family residence

  • You must meet HUD low-moderate income

  • Loan program includes additional requirements, defined when you apply

Number of Household members

Total household income

















How the program works

Homeowners complete and submit a Notice of Interest/Waitlist form. When funding becomes available in the area of residency, residents will complete an application. Applications are processed in order of completed applications, funding priorities and program guidelines.

After application review: The homeowner will be contacted to schedule a HUD Section 8 Quality Standard Inspection at their home. Program staff will conduct the inspection and review with the homeowner the repairs that are necessary or requested by the homeowner.

Construction scope of work: After the inspection, a scope of work/bid form will be developed and given to the homeowner to acquire bids for the project. The project must be completed by an Oregon licensed, bonded and insured contractor.

Completion of Project: When the work is completed, CinA staff will do a walk through with the homeowner to be sure that all work is completed. CinA will pay the contractor when all work is completed.

For more detailed information call a Residential Housing Rehabilitation staff person at 541-889-9555.


    Brochure – view printable tri-fold brochure

    Construction Contractor Requirements

    Select a form to view details

    Translate »